Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
Symptoms of TMD include:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
Should you notice any of these symptoms, let your doctor know. Your dentist can help indicate the presence of TMD and create an effective treatment just for you.
There are a few simple steps you can take at home or work to prevent TMD from becoming more severe, or to prevent it from occurring:
- Relax your face — remember the rule: "Lips together, teeth apart"
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid constant gum chewing
- Don't cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver in your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
“Dr. Worrel and his team are great! I had two fillings done yesterday. I had a broken tooth and a cavity. I didnt need local anesthesia because they used an awesome technology that used a laser to numb my tooth! Dr. Worrel was very kind and asked me if i had any discomfort throughout the procedure.”
“Very welcoming, friendly, and informative. Had a very good experience and I'm definitely going to refer my friends and family here. The people here are awesome!!! I'd recommend everyone to go check them out :)”
“Dr. Worrell and his staff are the most attentive and most caring of any dental office we've ever been to, EVER! My wife, Zee and I have been receiving treatments for the last couple of year involving restorations, crowns & implants and he and his fabulous team could not have been more considerate and more flexible with our ever evolving treatment plans. He's gentle and his bedside manners are most genuine and most compassionate. We highly recommend this office for all your dentistry needs.”
“Hadn’t been to the dentist in years finally decided to go in and have been extremely happy with the people and the service I have gotten.”